Every year, when the first leaves turn color on the trees, we look forward to onion cake from the tray! Here you will find the best recipe for the classic, which is a regional specialty especially in southern Germany, Switzerland, and Alsace.
Baked on the baking tray, an onion tart is a good way to delight a large group. Very classic and particularly delicious: a glass of well-chilled Federweißer with a hearty cake.
Onion cake from the tray – Ingredients for 24 pieces:
- 250 ml of milk
- 500 g + 60 g flour
- 1/2 cube (21 g) yeast
- 6 tbsp + some oil
- 1 kg of onions
- 40 g butter
- 125 g of diced bacon
- 400 g sour cream
- 3 eggs (size M)
- 1/2 –1 tbsp ground caraway seeds
Onion cake from the sheet – Step 1:
Heat the milk lukewarm. Sift 500 g flour into a bowl and make a well. Add the yeast in the milk and stir it until it gets dissolved. Pour the yeast milk into the well and stir with a little flour from the edge to form a pre-dough. Now cover it and leave it for about 30 minutes as it will rise if you give it some time.
Put 6 tablespoons of oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt on the edge and knead everything with the dough hook of the hand mixer to form a smooth dough. Cover and let rise for another hour in a warm place until the volume has doubled.
Onion Pie from the Sheet – Step 2:
Meanwhile, onions peel, quarter, and into thin slices cut. Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the bacon and onions to the pan and sauté, turning occasionally, until the onions are translucent. Let cool down.
Onion Pie from the Sheet – Step 3:
Mix the onions with the sour cream first, then 60 g flour, and finally the eggs. Season with salt and caraway seeds. Grease a baking sheet. Roll out the dough the size of the baking sheet, place it on the sheet, and pull up the edge. Spread the onion mixture on the dough. Bake in a preheated oven (electric stove: 200 ° C / convection: 175 ° C) for 40–45 minutes. Now take it out and cut into some pieces.
Onion Pie – Tips & Tricks
- As a side dish, a green salad brings freshness to the plate.
- With the Alsatian onion cake, also known as “Tarte aux oignons”, the filling is placed on a shortcrust pastry. The popular quiche Lorraine is similar to this onion pie. Only fewer onions and cheese are used for the filling.
- Little time? Then use a hearty quark and oil dough instead of yeast dough as the basis for the onion cake – it doesn’t have to go. You can take over the topping.
- For a vegetarian onion tart, you can simply leave out the bacon cubes or replace them with finely chopped smoked tofu.